Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentines Day // Mini Honey Yogurt Cakes

 
So, tomorrow is Valentines Day! I plan on painting my nails tonight with red glitter nail polish in celebration. Apart from that, I don't have too many exciting plans. I have pulled a mini lamb roast out of the freezer though & I think these mini honey yoghurt cakes will be a nice accompaniment for pudding.
 
I got the idea for these from my Mum - I went to visit my family in Dunedin last weekend & Mum had made this amazing lemon yoghurt cake for afternoon tea - it was so tasty!
 
I changed the lemon juice to honey, added some vanilla paste & baked these in baking paper lined ramekins. They came out as cute little moist cakes which I dressed up with rose syrup & chopped pistachios with some yoghurt on the side (middle eastern inspiration is my favourite!)
 
The recipe is so easy, so I hope you give these a go!
 
 
Mini Honey Yogurt Cakes
3/4 C White Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 C Oil (I used extra virgin olive oil but canola is good too)
1/4 t Salt
1/2 C Yoghurt (Greek or plain unsweetened)
1 1/2 T Liquid Honey
1/2 t Vanilla Paste (or 1 t vanilla)
1 C Self Raising Flour
 
Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius & grease & line the sides & bases of 6 small ramekins (or a cheesecake tray with removable bases)
Mix sugar, eggs, oil & salt with an electric beater or whisk until thick.
Mix in yoghurt, honey & vanilla paste.
Fold n flour until just mixed.
Scoop into tins (the mixture is quite runny - I used an ice cream scoop)
Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees, then drop the oven temperature to 150 degrees & continue cooking the cakes for approximately 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
Serve with rose syrup poured over (or more honey) plain yoghurt & chopped pistachios.
 
Serves 6
 
**To make a lemon version, omit the honey & vanilla paste & add 1 1/2 T lemon juice & the grated rind of 1 lemon. Serve with yoghurt & blueberries.
 
These are so yummy & stay good for 2-3 days (if they last that long!) I really want to go out & find a cheesecake tray now so I can make a whole heap of them...
 
What do you have planned for Valentines Day?
 

Kc



3 comments: