Sunday, December 4, 2011

4th Day of Christmas // Tissue Paper Pom Poms


I have seen quite a few pictures of these awesome tissue paper pom poms floating around the internet of late. I think they would make some pretty cute Christmas decorations too! You could make big ones to dot over a feature wall or little ones to hang on your Christmas tree or make them into garlands to hang over doorways. After searching around for a tutorial I figured out how they were made and whipped up my own pom poms in no time!

Here is a great little tutorial I found on Martha Stewart Weddings. Below you can see my own little photo tutorial to make these cool decorations!


 You will need;

Tissue paper – 9 layers cut to the width you want your pom pom
Florists wire – 24 gage (Try somewhere like Spotlight or a Cake Decorators Shop)
Pliers
Scissors


 1. Lay tissue paper on top of each other. Mine came in a pack of 3 sheets, so I cut them into 1/4’s and laid 3 of them on top of each other.
2. Fold tissue paper into a fan.
3. Fold a piece of florists wire over the centre and twist the ends to secure it.
4. Cut of both ends of rectangle – either into a point or a curve depending on the effect you want. 


5. Begin releasing each layer of tissue paper and pull up towards the centre.
6. Lift top 5 layers, then turn over and repeat with bottom 4.
7. Do all of one side of the pom pom, then switch and do the other side.
8. Your finished pom pom!!


See, I told you they were easy! Of course they would make great decorations for a Wedding, Bridal Shower, Baby Shower or Birthday too. Something to keep in mind!

Like all of my '12 Days of Christmas' DIY tutorials, there is a PDF version of this blog post here. Simpy click on the link, print out the tutorial and get to work. Easy as that. Feedback appreciated!

Make sure to check out the rest of my 12Days of Christmas posts for more awesome decorating ideas, recipes, and gift ideas!



2 comments:

  1. Aren't these just so cute! Thank you for reminding me of them! My sister and I made a whole lot of coloured ones at the beginning of the year but I never thought about using them as Christmas decorations, brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! They remind me of bright, beautiful Dahlias!

    ReplyDelete