Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipe Post // Banoffee Cupcakes


I'm always trawling through the recipe apps at the app store on my iPhone and the other day I came across one from Primrose Bakery. After having a quick look at the screen grabs I was smitten and immediateley downloaded it!

The first recipe I wanted to try was the Banoffee Pie Cupcakes. The cake itself is so yummy and moist! I decided to use the icing recipe I have been using for my other cupcakes. I made a plain buttercream icing and then added a couple of tablespoons of golden syrup to give it a yummy caramel flavour. 

Banoffee Cupcakes

125g Butter
250g Castor Sugar
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
250g Plain Flour
2 t Baking Powder
4 Ripe Bananas
Dried Banana Chips (to decorate)

Frosting:
115g Unsalted Butter (I just used salted - its cheaper!)
60ml Milk
500g Icing Sugar
2 T Golden Syrup

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a tray with paper cases.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs one at a time until well combined.
Add the flour, vanilla and baking powder and mix again.
Mash the bananas and add, mixing again.
Spoon mixture into paper cases (I used a icecream scoop so they were all even-sized)
Bake for 25 minutes or unitl cooked through.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.

For the frosting:
Cream butter, milk, vanilla and 1/2 the icing sugar. Add the rest of the icing sugar and the golden syrup and beat to combine. Place in a piping bag with chosen nozzle attached and top cupcakes with frosting.

The recipe says it will make 12, but I managed to get 16 good-sized cupcakes out of it!
 
I think the app was $4-$5 NZ which isn't too bad for a recipe app that looks pretty, is easy to use and (so far!) gets yummy results! I took a bunch of cupcakes up to Dunedin with me to feed all of my family and they all gave them a thumbs up. 

I spent the weekend seeing 'Sleeping Beauty' with my sister, catching up with friends, shopping for summer dresses and I finally got a candy thermometer!! I can't wait to start making yummy Christmas treats.

Work is beginning to wind down for me now, as any consents for new buildings have to be in to the council within the next 2 weeks before they close over Christmas, so I'm gonna have plenty of time for baking, recipe posts and fun DIY's!

Are there any recipe apps you would recommend? What did you get up to in the weekend?










10 comments:

  1. Yum that looks SO good!! I'm on my first day of my 'no sugar' diet, so naturally I'm craving anything sweet looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG they sound devine! I LOVE Banoffi pie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, could you try using pictorials? ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh! this looks and sounds delicious!
    one day when i have some time to back i will definitely try this!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love Banoffee flavour! and love your cute little polka dot cases. I would also really recommend Primose Bakery's caramel frosting...it looks scary to make but is actually quite straightforward and is mega delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have any recipe apps to share :(. I love this recipe, I'm not too keen on Banoffee myself (due to disliking bananas), but my boyfriend loves it :).

    Sarah
    xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Jen - yes I think I might try using pictures! :) I usually bake at night so it's not the best lighting, but it'll be better now with the long evenings so I will give it a go :)

    @ Cupcake Gem - I didn't have much time to ice them as I did it quickly before I headed out of town, but I think I definitely need to give that icing a go it sounded amazing!! :)

    Thanks for your comments girls! :) they are so worth a go! I hate mashing bananas they make me gag, usually I get the bf/other available person to do it! ;)

    Kc

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to work at a meeting space and the meetings were often catered by this company that made banoffee pudding. if i was lucky enough, i would get a sample. it was so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Came here via IG.

    ReplyDelete