Thursday, June 30, 2011

Recipe - Pink Rhubarb Cupcakes



A wee while ago I made Rhubarb Crumble Muffins, one of my favourite muffin flavours. Since then I’ve had half a bag of rhubarb sitting in my freezer waiting to be turned into some kind of tasty baking! After trawling through my collection of recipe books, I settled on cupcakes. With pretty pink icing of course!

My go-to recipe book for baking is usually The Edmonds Cookbook, one that most New Zealand households have! I added stewed rhubarb to the cupcake mixture, as well as a bit of lemon juice.
Pink Rhubarb Cupcakes

125g Butter, softened
1 t Lemon Juice
½ C Castor Sugar
2 Eggs
1 C Plain Flour
2 t Baking Powder
¼ C Milk (I used a little bit less to allow for the stewed fruit)
¾ C Stewed Rhubarb (bring to the boil with sugar and lemon juice, when soft, drain excess liquid)

Frosting:
58g Unsalted Butter
30ml Milk
1 t Lemon Juice
250g Icing Sugar
Colouring (I used a drop of red colouring)

Heat oven to 190C and set up mini muffin tins with cupcake papers. Cream butter, lemon juice and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Sift flour and baking powder together. Fold into the creamed mixture. Stir in the milk and rhubarb. Spoon mixture evenly into cupcake cases. Bake for 10-15 mins or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. (I trimmed off the little mounds to make a flat surface to pipe on to.)

Cream butter, sugar, milk, lemon juice and ½ the icing sugar for the frosting. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat until combined. Add the colouring and beat through. Fill a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe on top of cupcakes.

I decorated mine with a sprinkling of pink sugar. I added a drop of colouring to some castor sugar, then squished it through with my fingers until the sugar was coloured. Alternatively you can purchase coloured sugar to sprinkle over.

As the bf is away at the moment (he’s the usual food vacuum cleaner) I’ve had to find other people to feed, my parents, grandma and workmates were all fed fresh little pink cupcakes! My 2 manly workmates didn’t even seem to mind the pink icing and had 2 each, they must have been good!

What do you think of my cupcakes? Do you have a favourite flavour of cupcake I could try out? I’m always looking for new recipes!!

4 comments:

  1. These look very yummy indeed. Have you tried margaritas cupcakes? My new favourite thing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh num! These look delish. Love your blog girlie! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, those look super tasty! Your blog is so cute.

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kerry - um, yum!!!! I am so gonna try those at some point. I have made margarita fudge but not cupcakes! :)

    @Shannon - aww thanks!! :D

    @Emma - thank you!! :)

    Kc

    ReplyDelete